HeartCode® ACLS is a self-directed, comprehensive eLearning program that uses eSimulation technology to allow students to assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. To enter the course, students must complete a pre-course self-assessment. Students will then be presented with a team dynamics lesson and 10 In-hospital patient cases, including a BLS case and 2 mega code cases.
Upon successful completion of all the patient cases, students must pass the written exam with a score of 84%. Students then are able to attend the hands-on session required for full course completion.
Once the cognitive portion of the course has been completed, students practice and test their skills with an AHA Instructor.
- Updated science and education reflecting the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC
- Enhanced learning experience through eSimulations, life-like animations, and realistic scenarios
- Advanced, evidence-based resuscitation education and skills critical to the Chain of Survival
- Enhanced course structure and scenarios to ensure immediate preparedness in real-world situations
- Continuing education credits available
After successfully completing the HeartCode ACLS Course, including the online portion, followed by the hands-on skills session, students should be able to…
- Apply the BLS, Primary, and Secondary Assessments sequence for a systematic evaluation of adult patients
- Perform prompt, high-quality BLS, including prioritizing early chest compressions and integrating early AED use
- Recognize and perform early management of respiratory arrest
- Discuss early recognition and management of ACS and stroke, including appropriate disposition
- Recognize and perform early management of bradyarrhythmias and tachyarrhythmias that may result in cardiac arrest or complicate resuscitation outcome
- Recognize and perform early management of cardiac arrest until termination of resuscitation or transfer of care, including immediate post-cardiac arrest care
- Model effective communication as a member or leader of a high-performance team
- Evaluate resuscitative efforts during a cardiac arrest through continuous assessment of CPR quality, monitoring the patient’s physiologic response, and delivering real-time feedback to the team
- Recognize the impact of team dynamics on overall team performance
- Discuss how the use of a rapid response team or medical emergency team may improve patient outcomes
- Define systems of care
The AHA’s Heartcode ACLS Course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who direct or participate during the resuscitation of a patient, including physicians, nurses, emergency medical technicians, paramedics, respiratory therapist, and other professionals who may respond to a cardiovascular emergency.
- All course videos must be watched to completion before students can access the exam.
- All course eSimulations must be passed before students can access the exam. Please note: eSimulations can be taken more than once
Students MUST print out and bring their “Certificate of Completion” to the instructor before the Skills Testing.